Page header
Church-Black & White
Church Name
Join Us
Sunday
   Early Service - 8:30 a.m.
   Bible Study - 9:45 a.m.
   Worship Service - 11:00 a.m.
Wednesday Night
   Dinner - 5:30 p.m.
   Bible Study - 6:15 p.m.

More Progressive Primitive Primitive Baptist Church Information

(From Wikipedia)

 

Church Name



Primitive Baptist Controversy


In the early 1900s, Associations of the Primitive Baptists in the state of Georgia began to exclude churches from their membership that utilized the organ in worship services. The churches that utilized instrumental music in worship began to be known as Progressive Primitive Baptists. These churches formed their own Associations and became the Progressive Primitive Baptist denomination.

The minutes of the 1907 Echeconnee Association (in Central Georgia) record an exclusion of churches and include this resolution outlining the Association's stance:

    Resolution Whereas, the Primitive Baptists have been greatly disturbed
    by the introduction of new and unscriptural practices in their worship,
    viz; Instrumental music, secret orders and other things of like character;
    therefore, be it Resolved, That we declare against these measures in our
    churches together with all others that practice or affiliate with the same.

Return to Contents


Church Name



Division Resulted In Separate Denomination


The Augusta Chronicle noted this division, in a newspaper article of October 8, 1909, detailing two separate Primitive Baptist groups, naming one side as the Progressive Primitive Baptists:

    Churches of Progressive and Non-Progressive Primitives Met in Emanuel County,
    Swainsboro, Ga., October 7. The Primitive Baptists of Emanuel, Bulloch and
    Jefferson counties have just closed their annual association, the Progressive
    Primitives holding their meeting at Bethesda church near Wadley and the
    Non-Progressive Primitives holding their meeting at New Hope church in this
    county.

    Before a split in the Primitive Baptist ranks which occurred about a year ago,
    these two bodies formed the Upper Canoochee Association and consisted of
    nineteen churches embracing a large membership, but because a large
    percentage of the churches advocated the use of organs in their churches
    as well as the principle that they should pay their preachers, no longer
    adhering to the old primitive methods, the association split asunder, both
    calling themselves Upper Canoochee Association, and that a spirit of
    unfriendliness exists between them is shown by the fact that they both held
    their associations on the same dates.

Return to Contents


Church Name



The Primitive Baptist Foundation


The Primitive Baptist Foundation was incorporated in Miami, Florida, January 28, 1941. The general purpose of the Foundation as set out in the Constitution and by-Laws is:

"The general nature or the object of the corporation is to assist, maintain or support aged ministers of the Primitive Baptist Church who are unable to serve churches, or are without sufficient funds to live on, and also to assist, maintain and support the widows of ministers of the Primitive Baptist Church when such is needed; to assist, maintain and support any of the pastors; and such other things, in conformity with this Charter, as may be needful and necessary for the Primitive Baptist cause."

The principle functions of the Foundation over the years, as provided for in the original by-laws, have been to give assistance to ministers, widows of ministers, and small churches; to publish the Bible Study material; publish the song book; to promote ministerial education and development; and make loans to churches. In 1986 a milestone was set with the establishment of a Ministers Retirement Program, under which the Foundation matches funds paid into the plan by the Ministers. In 1997 the Progressive Primitive Baptist Library and Archives, which provides a wonderful resource of current and historical materials, became a part of the Foundation.

Return to Contents


Church Name



The Banner Herald


The Progressive Primitive cause and unification was aided by the publication of a monthly periodical edited by R.H. Barwick and William H. Crouse, called The Primitive Banner. In 1918, this periodical merged with the Primitive Herald and became known as The Banner-Herald . The merged paper was owned by a committee of Progressive Primitive Baptists as opposed to a single person.

Today, The Banner Herald remains the denominationís magazine and it publishes the annual directory of Progressive Primitive Baptist churches.

Return to Contents


Church Name



PBYF Youth Camps


Regional Summer Youth Camps began in the denomination in 1947 in Georgia. They were organized with the acronym PBYF which stands for Primitive Baptist Youth Fellowship. Camps are owned by the denominational churches in four states; Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, and Texas.

Return to Contents


Church Name



The Music Workshop


A week long music seminar for the aid of worship leaders and choir members is held each year in July at Camp Hillview, Manassas Georgia. The Music Workshop has been held annually since 1963. A music scholarship is awarded each year to help[ further the education of youth interested in music and worship.

Return to Contents


Church Name



The Southern States Bible Conference


The Southern States Bible Conference is held annually the last week in July at the Mann Center on St. Simons Island, Georgia.

Return to Contents



Church Name


Page footer
Church-Black & White
PB Logo

© Copyright 2017 Statesboro Primitive Baptist Church, Statesboro, GA. All Rights Reserved.